Wednesday, March 18, 2009

You want to be something different...

...do things right, because almost nobody ever does.

I first said that many years ago about a very different subject, and I'm sure the thought has been expressed better by others in under a great array of conditons. But I think it applies to rpgs in a number of ways.

Did you really love that first season of a TV show but hated when it ended up? Make it into a rpg campaign and do it right. Comic books are infamous for changing writers and directions, and often redefining characters completely. When you don't like the result, do your own.

We've entered the age of the reboot and re-imagined series (Battlestar Galactica is a great example for TV, Batman Begins for movies, The Ultimates for comics), and there's no reason such a mindset shouldn't apply to rpgs. It's quite likely your re-imagined versions are better in any case- for the simple truth is that most creators screw up their originals given time.

There's a new Star Trek movie coming out. If you think they screwed up big time with such a young crew, blow off the movie and do your version of those characters.

One can even do the same with your home-grown original campaigns of past years. Pick up those old characters, dust them off, maybe update them and roll again. Take advantage of a chance to do it better, and maybe this time do it right...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did just a while GM one game again; the original was something that failed because I just did not have the (mental) tools to make it work. This time, it worked okay.

Now, I can leave that concept behind and maybe run another game as a successor some time.

Gleichman said...

@thanuir: I'm a big fan of successor campaigns.

Then again I was running multiple generations of characters (direct lines of descent) since I first started playing rpgs in the 70s.

Unknown said...

I too enjoy successor campaigns. I have been playing in one set in the Star Wars universe for 8 years now, and it really has the vibe that this post is about. We decided that we loved the setting enought to put our particular stamp on it, and as a result have created something unique through the actions of our PCs.

Helmsman said...

I'm not trying to do anything different in my stories or my game development... I simply try and do the things I feel are right and proper and I hope that some people will like what I've done.

Gleichman said...

@Helmsman: I think that's about all one can do.

I for example don't design for anyone but myself, which is why I've never be in a rush to publish. I don't think many others would be interested.