Zachary completed his Top 25 list over on his blog. Given that the responders were mostly self-selected readers of his blog plus those pointed there by readers of his blog, the value of the result is highly limited to say the least. But I think Zachary would be willing to admit that freely.
So it was fun, nothing more. But it's not fun to fail to take it at least a little seriously...
So in that line, if it doesn't tell us much about the hobby as a whole- what does the results say about the people who self-selected themselves?
1. Many have been around a while, or have been influenced by those who have. Newer players wouldn't have heard or cared about Tunnel & Trolls (#8) or Pendragon (#15). Small print runs, almost no influence in the greater hobby. They'd say HERO System, not Champions (#9).
2. Older games far outshine newer ones in that list. All those new designs of the recent and coming years- wastes of time for these people.
3. They're a varied group with just about every type of RPG represented at one point or other except for the losers at the Forge (maybe they could claim RISUS...).
4. Except for Champions, they like really bad games :)
5. Their tastes are completely different than mine.
And that's about all I determine from the results. Anybody else see something?
Way of the Wicked 8
15 hours ago